How do you hand-wash silk?
This is probably the safest way to wash silk garments, and the steps are easy to follow.
- Submerge your silk in a basin filled with cool water.
- Add a few drops of mild detergent and use your hand to mix it into the solution. Let the item soak for at least 3 minutes.
- Using your hands, plunge the garment up and down to remove dirt.
- Rinse the silk under cold water until all the soap has been washed out.
- Soak up the moisture using a towel. Never rub or agitate your silk.
- Hang it on a drying rack and keep it away from direct sunlight.
How do you wash silk in a machine?
Yes, you can wash silk in a machine. However, you must invest in a mesh bag to avoid tangling and damages.
- Always check the label. Some items suffer damage or color loss in the machine.
- Sort your laundry. Never wash silk with heavy pieces of clothing like jeans.
- Use mesh bags to protect your silks from abrasion.
- Add a detergent that is specifically designed to care for silk garments. Check the dosing instructions on the bottle.
- Set your machine to a delicate wash option. Also, choose the shortest spin cycle and follow the recommended temperature in the label, if possible.
- Soak up excess moisture using a towel.
- Depending on the item, hang it up or lay it flat to dry. Again, avoid direct sunlight.